Thursday, October 8, 2009

One Year in Atlantica Online

On October 7, 2008, I decided to take the plunge into the world of Atlantica Online, the instance-reliant, turn-based strategic/tactical MMORPG from nDOORS. The game turned out to be my eyes-wide-open, no-road-map, jump-in-at-the-deep-end introduction to the entire genre of turn-based tactics games, and continues to be a wild ride and a lot of fun for me.

A few months back, the game implemented a special "birthday" mechanic. The in-game system marks the real-time date of birth of a character created on any of the servers, then gives away a special Birthday Gift Box every time that birthday is reached.

I began life in Atlantica Online with a swordswoman named Takako. She was my very first main. She was the unlucky character who suffered all the faults of the above-mentioned I-have-no-idea-what-I'm-doing approach: cracked-out build, lack of money, misuse of stamina and inability to follow quest lines, etc. etc.

Having moved on to a female axe main, Takako helps out with storing other items and - more importantly - generating money for the axe main.

From PJ Goes Pop!


Meet Takako. Top row, first image: Takako in action stance at the character select screen; the redhead character behind her is my current main. Top row, second image: the in-game message board that says "Happy Birthday, Takako!" Bottom image: Takako meets the Birthday Acong - sort of a mascot for Atlantica Online, which in this version gives away birthday gifts to characters.

The birthday gift box, when opened, gives out a random cake item, which when consumed can have any number of good effects. The birthday gift also includes enough EXP for each character in the formation to advance another level.

The next character looking forward to the birthday gifts is my axe main, created in January-ish of this year. I hope I can get her to benefit from the EXP bonus by the time that comes around.

I'm happy to have spent one year in Atlantica Online, and I hope to continue playing for a long time yet. (And I'm very interested in the upcoming Power Saw mercenary, called the Punisher, so I'm definitely sticking around long enough to at least TRY to get him!)

No comments: