Monday, June 28, 2010

Fandom kicks

When I was in high school I received a pair of vivid maroon tennis shoes as hand-me-downs from my mother. I remember being quite delighted to have such a comfortable and unusual pair of sneakers, and wearing them as frequently as I could.

During my three years at Philippine Science High School I was often found running around the halls wearing the normal blouse and skirt of the uniform, but the maroon shoes on my feet - and best of all, no one was enforcing the uniform rules strictly, so I could wear my sneakers with impunity.

Those shoes carried me all the way to university; they finally gave up the ghost after repeated soakings in flooded streets (much to the ruination of my white socks, I might add). After them I'd gone back to my usual routine of wearing shoes in various shades of black, blue, and occasionally white.

***



When David Tennant became the Tenth Doctor one of the first things everyone noticed was his clothes. The coat was cool, the pinstriped suit was unusual for a decidedly t-shirts-and-jeans age...and the Converse shoes were wanted by all.

In his first season he mostly wore off-white Chucks with a brown suit; he broke out the black Chucks whenever he had to don a tuxedo; and then when he started wearing a blue suit he wore maroon or red Chucks, just for the sake of the color clash.

***

Today I had the opportunity to buy shoes and when I passed a Converse store in the mall, I knew I'd only be picking between the off-white pair and the red one. (No maroon pairs in stock.)


Look, new shoes!

I hope I break this pair in right and that I get as much fun out of wearing them as Tennant did!

No comments: