Wednesday, July 7, 2010

All we need is love, each other...and gelato

The reason for the hiatus: my partner and I were celebrating eleven years together. We took time off from our respective jobs and spent the last four days running around the city together, exploring, eating, having fun. and delighting in each other's company.

The one thing that we tried to do was to do things for the first time. So we ate at restaurants we'd never tried before - there were hits and there were misses, but the experience was great all the same.

We stopped in at a photography studio and had our portraits taken. It was a simultaneously sad and funny experience: we were imagining what our photographer must feel like shooting all these people that he may or may not meet again; we were feeling our nerves because it was something we had never done before; he was fussing about his hair and I was unhappy with my scarred face.

[Some people even asked me afterwards if it was a pre-nup shoot.

In a word, no. Sorry to disappoint!]

We saw Toy Story 3. As we make a point out of seeing Disney/Pixar movies, no surprises there - except for the part where we splashed out for tickets to an IMAX 3D theater.

[One of the Barbie doll's final outfits made me gasp and point at the screen because I'd had that Barbie doll when I was a kid. Barbie and the Rockers...wow, that was a very long time ago.]

And yesterday's highlight: an eat-all-you-can gelato interlude, at a nice place called Gelatone in Greenbelt 4 [Ayala Center, Makati City]. Five hundred pesos gets two people all the gelato they can eat, provided they show up during all Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays of July, 2-5pm.

Let's let the pictures speak for themselves.


Starting off with my lemon sherbet and his peaches-and-lemon one.


His next two flavors: mint and chocolate, and mixed berries.


I tried the panna cotta-flavored gelato next.


My third scoop was mascarpone with candied figs.


My partner's final flavor was cheesecake.


And mine was dark Toblerone.

It was a great break from normal life. Yes, we only had eyes for each other. It was an occasion that needed to be remembered and commemorated. And that's precisely what we did.

Here's to us, my love.

No comments: