Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Scarf Project 01: Getting Things Started

First off: hey, it's the last day of 2009 (for me), so let me take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year - may 2010 be a good one.

With my basic battery of crochet hooks acquired as well as a good stash of yarn built up, it was high time to tackle a project. And as mentioned earlier, I've decided to commence crocheting with a scarf intended for my boyfriend.


Here's a test swatch that I created two days ago so that I could figure out a simple pattern that was also nice to look at, and of a width that would suit its intended wearer.

Admittedly there is nothing simpler than this pattern for a scarf: two bands of double crochet alternating with two bands of triple crochet (or treble crochet, for those of you from the UK). That's it. All that it needs is to come up to a total length of between 50 to 60 inches.

@.@ I know, right? Simple pattern but ambitious length. What have I gotten myself into?

I got started on the scarf late last night and here are the results so far:


Here's the "pill" of yarn I'm using to make the scarf, plus the first nine inches. Yes, the test swatch was in natural, but the scarf itself will be in black. Funnily enough, I don't seem to have any problems with counting stitches despite the black color.


A close-up look at the scarf pattern as it emerged in this project. The yarn is a black cotton worsted weight (Lion brand); I used a 5.00mm hook to make the foundation chain, then switched to the hook in the photo, a 3.75mm one.

I actually quite like how it looks so far, barring a few problems with tensioning the yarn properly (and thus having to redo stitches from time to time) and having to deal with the fuzz coming off the yarn as it's being worked. My hands are getting tired easily, but I figure I'll acquire the needed endurance and stamina as I keep going.

I'll be posting periodic progress reports as this scarf comes along. The idea is to finish it as quickly as I possibly can, preferably before January 2010 ends, so my boyfriend can still wear it to the office and for going out.

I really should look into buying myself a pair of special support/brace gloves, the ones that chefs and crafters and generally people who work a lot with their hands use, so I don't inadvertently give myself carpal tunnel syndrome or something....

No comments: