Thursday, February 11, 2010

The WaoHana Project: Wao's Experiment 626 Scarf

Okay, this one's just a quick picture post, since I'm really only getting started on this monster of a project. And I would laugh to mean "monster" both literally - because what part of seven feet long isn't daunting? - and figuratively, considering all the names that Stitch from Lilo and Stitch got called.


Gantu: What is that monstrosity?
Jumba: Monstrosity? What you see before you is the first of a new species. I call it Experiment 626. He is fire-proof, bullet-proof, and can think faster than a super computer. He can see in the dark, and move objects three thousand times his size. His only instinct...to destroy everything he touches! [laughs maniacally]
Grand Councilwoman: So it is a monster.
Jumba: Eh, just a little one.



Stitch: ALOHA!
Gantu: You're vile! You're foul! You're FLAWED! [smashes hand on Stitch]
Stitch: [lifts it back up] Also cute and fluffy!


I rest my case.

Anyway, on to the photos.


Here's the scarf at the starting point. The idea is to have pink and blue stripes for the ends and then solid black for the long middle section. I plan to do the whole thing in one piece, as opposed to an earlier attempt where I did the scarf in two pieces and then stitched them together.


A macro shot that shows the stitch I'm using to make the scarf. My book calls it "alternate" stitch, and it's composed mainly of putting two single crochet in one stitch and then skipping the next stitch. This has the effect of creating a firm fabric with a leaf-like motif.


Okay, I've finally finished one end here and am now moving on to the main portion of the scarf - the black section, intended length about 40 inches. (A little over that figure is okay.)


And here is the scarf, 26 inches long. This thing is supposed to end up at about 84 inches in length, which is probably LONGER than the person I'm giving it to (and definitely longer than ME). The funny thing is that I seem to be doing 10% of it every day - I'm up to 30% now - and so it will likely take me ten or so days to finish the whole thing. :D

This is my first striped scarf, so I must have gone through three or four techniques to do the color changes. I finally stuck with the simplest and easiest one: finish the row with the first yarn, join on second yarn by knotting it onto the first and sliding the knot up to abut the last single stitch, drop first yarn, do turning chains and resume motif with second yarn.

[Posting frequency has gone up, partly because I'm taking a long weekend off. Ah, the nice oddness of having Valentines' Day and Chinese New Year AND the UP Fair all in one weekend.]

No comments: