Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Gotta WTF 'em all - jejemons!

Okay, I admit it, the first time anyone tried explaining to me what a jejemon was, I thought of THIS demotivational poster:



I was going to let that poster stand for all my thoughts on the subject, but I thought it would be nice to have my statement on these sorts of people right here on the blog for all the world to see.

If I really wanted to be honest about it, jejemons are just the latest in a long line of people who make me despair for the future of the English language. I can live with the fact that a living language is an evolving language, but I personally cannot abide such hideous constructions as "bestfriend" and its equally obnoxious contractions "BFF" and "bestie". [Oh, don't get me started....]

And then there are the jejemons. I won't strain my fingers and my brain trying to type something up in their representative idiom, and I won't break your eyes - so, all I want to say is this.

Look, I can understand that jejemons think their language is fun and, yes, unfortunately, uniquely suited to their way of thinking. But if a jejemon really wants to put in so much effort in encoding his/her thoughts in this particular way, and if he/she really wants other people to pretty much break their brains trying to decipher the stream of visual gibberish....

How will I know that you're actually trying to send me something as profound as

Four score and seven years ago,

or

To be or not to be,

or even

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine,

if the alphanumeric symbols are just a mush of visually unappetizing soup?

And that is all I have to say about that.

No comments: