Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"I don't want [her] to go!" Banzai Mizu Natsuki!

Related Mizu Natsuki posts:
Fandoms at Random: Onstage Mizu Natsuki!
Video Post of Squeeing Doom!
Mizu Natsuki announces retirement.
This week's post o' fannish doom


Mizu Natsuki playing Der Tod, from the 2007 production of the musical Elisabeth, performed by the Snow Troupe [Yukigumi] of the Takarazuka Kagekidan.

I know, I know, I'm mixing up my fandoms again, but really, see if I care.

I don't want to go were the famous last words of the Tenth Doctor [David Tennant], and now I'm using them again to talk about the impending retirement of Mizu Natsuki, the current Top Star of Snow Troupe [Takarazuka Kagekidan].

Mizu's last bow on the Takarazuka stage will be on Sunday, 12 September, when the musical drama and revue Roget / Rock On! ends its run at the Tokyo Takarazuka Theater. Her musumeyaku Top Star, Aihara Mika, will be among the actresses retiring with her.

I have to admit that I am now considering fading out of the fandom after Mizu goes.

Oh, not to say that I don't currently love any of the Takarazuka actresses; I still feel my troupe loyalty to Cosmos Troupe [Soragumi] and that means I am still a minor-league fan of its current Top Stars [Oozora Yuuhi and Nono Sumika]. See my review of their take on Casablanca here, for example. And I also have a lot of love for several other Sora stalwarts such as Ranju Tomu, Yuumi Hiro, Toki Irisu, Suzuna Saya, and Kotobuki Tsukasa.

But with Mizu's retirement I feel that it'll be okay to stop being an active part of the fandom, that is, the non-Japanese one. I'm pretty sure I've talked a lot about Mizu on this blog and that was mostly because she was the Top Star I supported, the one who was still in the company.

After Sunday, though, she'll be out of the Revue and out into a new life.

And I wish she didn't have to go, but truthfully, I'm glad she's retiring. I've been quite worried for her: working a lot, not looking very well in some photos [in fact there were days when I saw photos of her and wailed, "Oh, someone please feed her! She looks so wan!"], dealing with other Yukigumi retirements. So if this is her way to get rest, to recover from the last year in which she had been so busy, then I will feel happy for her instead.

But I'm going to be crying anyway as soon as I see her graduation photos.

No comments: